Resources to Help with Lockdown Boredom
As the country pulls together in solidarity to help support each other through the current crisis, we see a rise of free resources to help individuals and families navigate the period of isolation.
We’ve shared some of our favourites, below, that may help provide some sources of entertainment this Bank Holiday weekend, as we all stay home and stay safe.
P.E with Joe Wicks
‘The Body Coach’ launched daily P.E lessons, aimed at school children, every Monday – Friday from the 23rdMarch.
The 30-minute exercise masterclass takes place via YouTube, from 9am each morning. The workouts are fun and suitable for all ages. No equipment is required, and they can be done from the comfort of your own living room.
Chris Hemsworth's fitness programme
Actor Chris Hemsworth, better known as Thor from the Marvel movies, has announced his health and fitness programme Centr will be free for six weeks. It includes workouts with 'world-class trainers', meal plans and mindfulness exercises.
Yoga for Equestrians
Hartpury Equine have run Yoga classes, specifically for equestrians, via their Facebook page. These can be joined Live or available, as videos, to view and follow at a later date.
100s of kids' audiobooks
With the majority of schoolchildren across the UK now learning from home, Audible has released a collection of audiobooks for free, which it says will be available 'for as long as schools are closed'.
Books include Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, The Secret Garden, Winnie the Pooh and Timeless Tales of Beatrix Potter.
Free meditation via the Headspace and Calm apps
These popular meditation apps have released free content specifically to help those struggling with anxiety and stress at this time.
- Calm is offering 'soothing meditations', a 'calm masterclass', 'calm kids' and mindfulness resources. They're available via its website – see Calm's free content.
- Headspace has a collection called Weathering the Storm, which includes meditations, sleep and movement exercises. It's available on the app (for iPhone or Android), or you can access some of the content via the Headspace website.
New classic box sets added to BBC iPlayer
The BBC has added loads of new content to stream on iPlayer, aimed at helping those stuck indoors. These include classic box sets, plus some films.
Free ballet, opera and theatre broadcasts
- Così fan tutte, The Royal Opera, 2010 – 7pm on Friday 10 April
- The Metamorphosis, The Royal Ballet, 2013 – 7pm on Friday 17 April
After they've been broadcast, these performances will be available on those channels to view 'on demand'.
The National Theatre are also now offering a free streaming service via their websiteand YouTube, including:
- Jane Eyre – from 7pm on Thursday 9thApril until 16thApril
- Treasure Island – from 7pm on Thursday 16thApril until 23rdApril
- Twelfth Night – from 7pm on Thursday 23rdApril until 30thApril
Get In Touch Today
For professional insurance that means business. Phone us today on 01992 707316 or request a quote online.